Terms of Service Agreement
This agreement is entered into between users (READERS and AUTHORS) of the Three Blind Betas website and Three Blind Betas (TBB). READERS and AUTHORS agree to the following terms for participation in the services provided here. This agreement is governed by the laws of Utah County, State of Utah, United States of America.
Participation Requirements for Beta Readers
- Participation in the Three Blind Betas review group is voluntary. Membership may be terminated by the member or the admins of Three Blind Betas at any time, without notice, for any reason.
- READERS agree to read unpublished works of their choice posted to the book listings with full intention to complete the beta reader survey upon completion of reading any downloaded title. READERS will make every effort to read the book to completion prior to answering the survey, and should they be unable to complete the work due to quality or content issues, they will report the issues via the survey with specific details regarding the issues they have encountered. The authors are looking for overall focus group information to prepare their work for publication and READERS input is crucial to this process. TBB makes no warranties as to the quality or content of any file.
- READERS agree to notify TBB of any content that violates our content guidelines and hold TBB harmless for such violations. READERS read content at their own risk, regardless of disclaimers or other "trigger warnings" that may or may not be included in book descriptions, cover blurbs, taglines, or other means currently available, now or in the future. To ensure you are paid for beta reads that you are unable to complete due to content guideline violations, YOU MUST NOTIFY US of the content violation. We will investigate and, if necessary, remove the title. If the title violates our guidelines, we will remit payment as though you have completed the beta read. If we determine the title does not violate our guidelines, you will be given the option to continue reading, or discontinue reading and forfeit your reading fee.
- READERS warrant they will hold the material confidential and will not share any downloaded title with any other person, living or dead, by any means, whether digital, printed, encrypted or via any means currently available or invented in the future.
- READERS may read books outside their selected genre provided they have the expertise and experience to fairly and appropriately judge the books they choose to read; i.e. they are regular readers of said genre.
- READERS agree to complete the Book's survey as soon as it is reasonably possible after they have finished reading a book project, prior to the AUTHOR's established deadline for review. Any survey forms submitted after the AUTHOR's established deadline shall not be considered for payment.
- READERS agree to remain anonymous and will not divulge to any author that they have contributed to the focus group of beta readers for any given title.
- READERS will be paid a reading fee of $3.00 per book completed by the 15th day of the month following the month in which the book is read.
- Should any READER download a book from this website and fail to read it completely or and/or send the appropriate survey in the allotted time, regardless of whether they have read the book completely, READER shall be subject to immediate termination of membership.
- READERS agree that they are independent contractors and not employees of TBB.
Participation Requirements for Authors
- Participation in the Three Blind Betas group is voluntary. Membership may be terminated by the member or the admins of Three Blind Betas at any time, without notice, for any reason.
- AUTHORS shall submit their books in their final, ready-to-publish form in the file format(s) of their choice selected from the listing options. AUTHORS acknowledge that TBB is not an editing service and if they prefer to receive line-by-line development and editing, TBB is not the proper venue for the same.
- AUTHORS will submit book covers where they are available. AUTHORS acknowledge that they may receive fewer beta reads when a cover has not been uploaded with the manuscript and that they have elected to not receive beta feedback on the cover itself. No discount shall be given for the lack of a cover submission with the project uploaded.
- AUTHORS understand that the beta readers are anonymous and shall remain so throughout the beta reading process and after such process has been completed. AUTHORS agree to not seek out the identity of any beta readers who may have contributed to their focus group. AUTHORS are permitted to invite beta readers to join the TBB reader team, however they shall make no endeavor to identify any beta reader who selects their project, nor will AUTHORS attempt to make their book available to any particular beta readers within the pool of readers. TBB makes no guarantee concerning which beta readers in our pool will have first come/first served access to any file.
- AUTHORS warranty that books they submit meet our Content Guidelines. Any books that contain content in violation of these guidelines as determined by our readers and/or the staff of TBB shall be removed the site listing immediately and AUTHORS shall forfeit all costs for reads already started. No surveys or reports will be issued and any refunds in accordance with Item #6 below shall be made within the normal 10 day period outlined in Item #7, below.
- AUTHORS shall remit payment for the services at the time they submit their books for the full amount of the maximum beta reads they hope to receive. Should no readers download the AUTHORS files, TBB shall refund the deposit minus a $10.00 listing fee. Should at least one beta read be completed, TBB shall refund the difference between the total requested and the total received and shall eliminate the listing fee.
- AUTHORS will not place unrealistic deadlines on their projects and agree to allow for no less than 30 calendar days for each book listing. TBB shall compile the reports and provide on comprehensive report, together with any refund, to the author within 10 days of the end of the beta reading cycle deadline.
- AUTHORS will hold TBB harmless for any damages or liability for any acts of plagiarism, illegal file sharing, or other infringement of their intellectual property rights for any works voluntarily listed on this website.
- AUTHORS grant TBB permission and license to post the files containing their literary works and make the same available for download to the READERS for a limited time and in a limited number, to be determined by the AUTHORS.
- AUTHORS who elect to enroll their published works in a file sharing or subscription-based publishing program with exclusivity requirements agree to hold TBB harmless for any intentional or unintentional interference with said publishing program in the event that their submitted book remains on the TBB website longer than intended either by accident or design.